Thursday, February 21, 2008

yes we can


Barak Obama is doing something amazing.  And it's much more than being a charismatic candidate who promises change.  It's much more than having an amazing chance of being the first black president.  It's more than what he stands for and what he believes in and what he will accomplish.

At least it's more than all of that to me.  Because what Obama is doing for me, and for many others like me, is more remarkable than any of those other accomplishments combined.

He's making me care about America and its future.

For the past few years, I've been giving serious thought to just jumping ship.  The state of our economy, education, healthcare and social security program.  Our participation in foreign wars where we aren't wanted, and our lack of participation in global environmental treaties where we are.  It all seems like too much, and I feel like I would be much more at home in Canada or Europe.  Maybe that will still happen, but I have good reason to believe that if Barak Obama really is the harbinger of change that he, I, and millions of people believe him to be, maybe it won't have to.  

No comments: